Developer: John Carroll
Architect: Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects
Contractor: Baugh Construction Oregon
68 residential units
719 to 2,170 sf
6 commercial units
Parking: Above grade
Chown Pella was the first Pearl District conversion of a historic warehouse into residential condominiums. Located in the 13th Avenue Historic District, the brick building is a landmark in the neighborhood and its location is considered to be the center of the Pearl. The original 1910 building on the south side is seven stories and the north building, which was added in 1911, is four with a fifth floor added in 1995. Chown Pella is on the National Historic Register. Originally, railroad tracks ran through the outdoor parking courtyard, bringing freight to what was then the “Oregon Transfer Company.” The two original wooden water tanks are still intact, maintaining the original character of the structure. One of the early pioneers of urban living in the Pearl District, Debbie Thomas Real Estate is also located on the loading docks of this historic property.
“Industrial Strength Living in The Pearl” was the tag line of John Carroll’s first condominium conversion. Open loft spaces with exposed brick and heavy timbers were created from two former warehouse buildings.